Mommy Needs Coffee's Note:
For the food-allergic people in your life, egg-free, dairy-free French toast casserole! Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, it's nice as a brunch item. This is our version of a recipe from a Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis newsletter ( http://www.foodallergy.org/ ). The original recipe called for unflavored rice milk, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, and milk-free, soy-free margarine, so it can be converted to a soy-free dish as well, though we haven't tried it. I think the critical thing is using bread with a nice, crisp texture; it wouldn't be as good with bread that was soft and squishy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons soy margarine, melted (milk-free)
- 1 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup (we use Karo light corn syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup dark molasses
- 1 (16 ounce) artisan bread (milk-free, egg-free) or 1 (16 ounce) French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (milk-free, egg-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (again)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- 2Spray a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray (note: do _NOT_ use butter-flavor cooking spray! This contains dairy ingredients).
- 3Combine melted margarine, vanilla soy milk, corn syrup, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, salt, and molasses in a large bowl.
- 4Fold bread into mixture so that it absorbs liquid evenly. Place in prepared baking dish, and cover with aluminum foil.
- 5Bake 15 minutes.
- 6Remove foil, and bake 15 minutes more.
- 7Sprinkle 1/2 tsp cinnamon over the top.
- 8Top as desired - allergen-safe syrup, fruit, or powdered sugar.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yummy French Toast Casserole - Egg-Free, Dairy-Free
Serving Size: 1 (23 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.5
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 116.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: