This is a simple yellow cake that is easy to make and very tasty. It can also be cut into slices and served with fruit.
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Prepare cake pan: Line 8-inch round or square cake pan with parchment paper and grease bottom and sides of the pan. Then flour the pan.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add vegetable oil, soy milk, and vanilla extract; whisk until no lumps appear and batter is smooth.
- Add vinegar, stir about seven times, and quickly pour into pan.
- Bake around 30 minutes, until cake begins to pull away from sides and/or toothpick inserted in the center pulls out clean.
- Let sit for ten to fifteen minutes, invert, and cool on rack.
Wow! I made this as a last minute dessert for me on Thanksgiving, and it turned out FANTASTIC! I am lactose intolerant and having trouble digesting eggs, so to find a cake recipe that has neither of those and tastes great is just a Godsend for me.
The only thing I did differently was that I used Almond Milk instead of Soy Milk, personal preference, and I used just a pinch of cocoa powder. It turned out GREAT! It even lasted without proper containment for a week, and it STILL tasted amazing. I will definitely be this cake again. Tonight, even I think, I'm craving something sweet. ;)
this is a cake that is so versatile that you could literally eat the same basic cake - changing the flavourings - forever! i doubled the recipe(except for the oil, where i used half cup only, added grated rind from one orange, used the juice of the orange mixed with the double quantity of milk required and lessened the sugar to 1 1/2cups(personal preference, i dont like v.sweet cakes) and used 1tblspn orange extract instead of vanilla. it was BRILLIANT. will experiment and try lemon flavoring, coconut, chocolate or banana , etc.etc. etc. list is endless.you are only limited by your imagination and whatever you happen to have in your cupboard at that particular time. i really couldnt fault it in ANY respect. THANKS FOR POSTING.
I used turbinado sugar instead of white, 1 cup pureed apples in place of soy milk, and added 1/2 tsp cinnamon. It came out great!