1/4 Photos of Tofu Turkey Roast (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Vegan )
2 hrs 45 mins
This is a wonderful tasty alternative to the Christmas turkey. It is cooked ahead of time and then reheated and browned before serving. Although the instructions may be long, it is really very easy to make and a lot less fuss than most tofu turkey recipes. The leftovers are just as tasty the next day and are great served cold with a salad. This is a combination of different recipes. This recipe has been revised Dec '08 to include extra tofu to create a thicker layer of "Turkey".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 3/4 lbs extra firm tofu (or hard tofu, NOT silken)
- 5 1/3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 8 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 teaspoons powdered agar
- 4 teaspoons vegan chicken bouillon powder (not too salty)
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1 1/3 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1/3 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/3 teaspoons salt (or to taste, will depend on the bouillon powder)
- 1 dash black pepper (to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 teaspoons Braggs Aminos (or gluten-free soy sauce or tamari)
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 dash pepper (to taste)
- 5 cups fresh gluten-free breadcrumbs (I used Multi-Grain Multi-Grain Bread (Gluten, Dairy and Egg-Free))
- 2Divide the ingredients evenly into 2 or more lots depending on the size of your food processor.
- 3In a food processor, puree all ingredients in lots. You may need to keep stopping to mix the mixture so it all processes evenly.
- 5In a saucepan sauté the onion, mushrooms, Celery and garlic in oil until cooked. Remove from heat. Mix soy sauce into Vegetable mixture.
- 6In a bowl mix bread crumbs, herbs, salt and pepper. Add vegetable mixture to the crumbs in bowl and mix well. If the crumbs are very fresh and moist the stuffing should hold together very well. However, if your mixture is a little dry and not holding together, add a little water or vegetable stock. Adjust seasonings to taste if necessary.
- 7Roll stuffing into a log about 25 cm (10") long.
- 9Whisk all ingredients together.
- 10ASSEMBLY AND COOKING.
- 11Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 12On the kitchen bench (counter), or a large cutting board, lay down 2 pieces of non-stick baking paper about 18"(45 cm) long, overlapping about 10 cm (4") along the long edges. Over the top of this lay down another piece of baking paper, centred along the overlapped edges.
- 13On the top layer of baking paper, evenly spread the tofu "turkey" mixture - about 12" x 10" (30 x 25 cm).
- 14Place the stuffing log on to the centre of this. Carefully lift the edges of one end of the paper, and thus the tofu, up and over the stuffing. Gently pull paper away from tofu and lay flat again, leaving the tofu around the stuffing. Repeat with the other side. The tofu mixture should meet at the top and wrap all the way around the stuffing.
- 15Gently press the edges of the tofu mixture together and smooth over. Press the tofu over the ends of the stuffing log, and smooth this over also.
- 16Brush the entire top of the roast with marinade. (Keep the remaining marinade for basting later.).
- 17If possible get someone to help with the wrapping. Wrap with all the layers of the baking paper. Twist the long ends to close. Wrap with an additional layer of baking paper if desired. Wrap again with several layers of foil.
- 18Gently place on a baking tray. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool, and then refrigerate until about 1 hour before serving.
- 19About 1 hour (or a little less) before serving, gently unwrap the roast. Brush with more marinade and re-wrap. Place in oven and bake for about 20 - 30 minutes at 350°F (175°C).
- 20Remove foil and baking paper (the easiest way is to simply tear it away from the top). Brush with remaining marinade. Place back into oven for around 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 21Slice and serve with cashew gravy and cranberry sauce.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tofu Turkey Roast (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free, Vegan )
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.8
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 672.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 12.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegan chicken bouillon powder