I'm staying away from wheat, but wanted a nice white sauce. All the others I have seen were thin or too sweet. This one is rich, creamy, and has a great flavor. Replaces white sauce in casseroles and tetrazzinis. Can be used as a base for cream of mushroom soup, too. Add spices you want to create the flavor you need. All spices listed are optional--I use this as the sauce for my chicken and rice bake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-fine rice flour (see note)
- 2 tablespoons garbanzo flour (chickpea, gram)
- 1 teaspoon potato starch
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups rice milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill (optional)
- 1Note: The rice flour you usually find is rather gritty (Arrowhead Mills, etc), so it is best to get your rice flour at an Asian market, where you can find powdered rice flour--it has the same feel as cornstarch.
- 2In a small bowl, mix flours and potato starch with a fork until mixed together.
- 3In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt margarine with oil over medium heat.
- 4Whisk flour mixture into oil/butter mixture until it forms a paste.
- 5Whisk in chicken stock and rice milk.
- 6Add spices and Worcestershire.
- 7Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, until thick.
- 8If too thick, add more rice milk.
- 9If too thin, mix 1 tsp of (the garbanzo flour thickens better, but has a stronger taste) more flour with 1 T of cold water, and then stir into the sauce.
- 10Repeat if necessary.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Thick , Rich Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Roux/White Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 207.9
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 57.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gluten-free chicken stock