1 hr 10 mins
WI Cheesehead's Note:
A Bette Hagman recipe. Next time I would cut the milk in half, as it seemed to make the sauce too runny. But everyone said, "This is really good!"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 potatoes (fist-sized)
- 5 -7 green onions, sliced thin
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup ham, diced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons cream soup (powdered, see Gluten Free Cream Soup Base (Powdered))
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk (I also have used something called MimicCreme that is a vegan sub. for dairy creams.) or 1 cup rice milk (I also have used something called MimicCreme that is a vegan sub. for dairy creams.) or 1 cup almond milk (I also have used something called MimicCreme that is a vegan sub. for dairy creams.)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 2 1/2-qt casserole.
- 2Peel and thinly slice potatoes and place in the casserole.
- 3Add the green onions and toss to mix, seasoning with salt and pepper. If using ham, add it in with the onions.
- 4Sauce: In a medium saucepan, place the margarine and the soup base, blended with the 1/4 C water. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- 5This mixture will be as thick as canned cream soup. Add the milk and pour over the potatoes.
- 6Bake for 1 hour, or until the potatoes are tender.
- 7Au Gratin: Eliminate the ham, but add 1 C grated sharp cheddar cheese to the sauce before pouring it over the potatoes. If desired, top with 1/2 C buttered GF bread crumbs.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scalloped Potatoes (Gluten Free W/Dairy Free Option)
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.7
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 10.7 mg
- Sodium 223.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: