I'm posting this for my mother. We recently returned from a trip to Cape Cod, where we were both very disappointed about not being able to eat the cream-filled clam chowder as a result of our IBS. This recipe is from my favorite cookbook, Eating for IBS by Heather van Vorous, and is completely dairy-free and delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, scraped and diced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 cups clam broth
- 3 cups plain soymilk or 3 cups rice milk
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) canschopped clams or 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups baking potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper, for serving
- fat-free saltine crackers, for serving
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and saute until softened.
- Gradually sift in the flour, stirring thoroughly and scraping bottom of pan.
- Very gradually stir in the clam broth, scraping sides and bottom of pan to make sure flour is thoroughly incorporated without clumping.
- Stir in rice milk until mixture is smooth.
- Add the clams and spices, bring soup to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes, cover and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crushed Saltines.