Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a combination that I came up with, based loosely on a Nigella Lawson one, when I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant. This is one I adore, I eat this every morning with chopped fresh fruit and soy milk.
- 350 g rice bran, flaked
- 150 g millet, flaked
- 150 g quinoa, flaked
- 120 g sunflower seeds
- 100 g sesame seeds
- 50 g flax seeds
- 175 g applesauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 120 g brown rice syrup
- 4 tablespoons liquid honey
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 250 g natural almonds, whole
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 200 g dried pears
- 100 g crystallized ginger
- Mix everything except the pears and ginger together in a huge bowl (this makes a vast quantity). I use a couple of large flat wooden spoons, but spatulas or slotted spoons work just as well - it's a really sticky mixture if you do it by hand --.
- Spread the mixture in a large roasting pan - it will be about 2 cm deep.
- Bake, uncovered, at 170C, checking and turning after 20 minutes, then every 10 minutes after that until it is golden brown and fragrant. You want it just golden brown as it will darken a bit more as it cools.
- Remove it from the oven and allow to cool.
- Chop the fruit, especially the ginger, finely and mix through the granola.
- Store in an airtight container.
Just a heads up - spelt is wheat-free but NOT gluten-free.