Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 168 hrs
Cook 20 mins
My original inspiration for this recipe comes from AdriMicina's Lemon cream liqueur. I have been making this over and over again since I first reviewed her recipe over three years ago. It's evolved since then, and at the request of some friends, both live and virtual, I am posting my own version. My original intention to keep this dairy-free was for religious reasons, I don't mix meat with dairy and the thought of a shnapps glass of this stuff straight out of the freezer at the end of a meal on a hot summer's day prompted me to make this using soy milk. A lactose-intolerant friend loves it for her own purposes, so this recipe comes in useful for a myriad of reasons.
- Pour the alcohol into a jug or piece of Tupperware.
- Zest or peel the lemons and submerge in the alcohol.
- Juice the lemons, and do whatever you want with the juice, the juice is not part of the recipe. I freeze the juice in an ice cube tray for use in cooking.
- Cover and put away in a dark place for one week, or up to however long you want. I once forgot I was making a batch and the stuff steeped for a whole month, wow, THAT was a strong batch.
- After you have finished your steeping, drain the alcohol.
- Bring the soy milk and sugar to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Mix the lemony alcohol with the sugary soy milk. Pour into bottles. This will make about 1 1/2 liters.
- I keep mine in the freezer. It thickens up but does not freeze. Super refreshing on a hot day.