1/1 Photo of Gluten-Free, Dairy Free Irish Soda Bread
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
I'm not usually a Soda Bread fan, but the fact that there are caraway seeds and currants in this gives it a nice flavour. I got this from the Living Without website. It promotes gluten free foods: http://www.livingwithout.com/ This would be nice for a St. Patties' Day brunch!
My Private Note
6 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 cups flour (gluten free high protein)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter (or palm fruit shortening)
- 2 tablespoons margarine (Vegan Earth Balance)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (you can add 1 tsp. of lemon juice to the milk and it will make a butter milk substitute)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds (lightly toasted)
- 1Preheat oven to 400'F.
- 2Lightly dust your baking sheet with flour. Plump the currants by covering with hot water for 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
- 3Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt together.
- 4With your fingers, pinch the coconut butter into the flour mixture until it resembles course sand.
- 5Add the currants and caraway seeds fluffing the mixture up as you add them.
- 6Make a well in the middle of the mixture and add 1/2 cup of the buttermilk. Mix the dry ingredients into the milk, adding more milk as needed to create a soft dough. Better to have this mixture wet then dry.
- 7Dust the counter with flour and turn the dough onto the flour and gently knead adding more flour to prevent it from sticking. Shape the dough into a flat 6" loaf.
- 8Place on your prepared cookie sheet and sprinkle the top with more flour and cut an X in the top with a sharp knife.
- 9Place in your preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 10Cool on a wire rack.
- 11Serve warm with Vegan margarine or your favourite jam.
- 12Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten-Free, Dairy Free Irish Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.6
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 1.8 mg
- Sodium 1219.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 20.7 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: