I came up with these while trying to make something as a Christmas gift for a friend who cannot have gluten or dairy products and these turned out pretty good (after a failed attempt at butter-free, gluten-free shortbread). I drizzled with some melted dark chocolate for a more elegant look. My friend gave it a great review, so I'm posting it here for others to enjoy. Bon apetit!
- Sift together the corn starch and flour in one bowl.
- Mix the margarine and sugar until fluffy in another bowl (I did this by hand).
- Add vanilla or orange extract, if using, to the margarine mixture.
- Add flour mixture to margarine mixture and mix until combined.
- Using a tablespoon measure, spoon onto a very lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes until golden brown on the edges.
- This will make about 16 cookies (2" in diameter).
- You can drizzle with some melted chocolate after they have cooled for the extra flavor and visual effect.