Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a flavorful, filling and simple soup. It is hearty enough to serve as a main dish, just add a green salad. The sweet potato gives it extra body and rounds out the flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons crushed gingerroot (fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed by 1/2 inch
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- ground black pepper (I use a lot and this gives it a little bite)
- In a stock pot, sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent.
- Add the ginger, mix.
- Add carrots, sauté 3 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, sauté 3 minutes.
- Add rice, mix together.
- Add chicken stock and remaining ingredients and let simmer 25 minutes.
- Puree mixture and return to stock pot.