1/1 Photo of Fresh Ginger Muffins (Gluten and Dairy Free)
Suzy mom to 2's Note:
This is an adapted version of a recipe found on www.recipesource.com. These muffins bring out the intense, aromatic quality of fresh ginger beautifully, without a trace of the peppery taste. The texture is nice, they freeze well and reheat great in the microwave.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces fresh gingerroot, finely grated
- 3/4 cup light cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 8 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 1 cup gluten-free cake flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (see note) or 1 teaspoon guar gum (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F Grease muffin tins or use paper liners.
- 2Peel a chunk of fresh gingerroot and grate it very finely, then cut off another chunk and grate it, until you have 2 oz or about 1/4 cup.
- 3Grind the sugar (I use my good old electric coffeegrinder for this).
- 4In a small saucepan, slowly heat half of the sugar and the grated gingerroot until all sugar has melted and mixture is hot.
- 5Turn off heat and stir in lemon zest.
- 6Cream the remaining sugar with the margarine until well combined, then stir in eggs one by one.
- 7Add the soy yogurt and mix until smooth. Stir in ginger-lemon mixture.
- 8Sift flours, salt, guar/xanthan gum and baking soda together in a separate bowl. Note 1: If your cake flour mix already contains xanthan or guar gum, there's no need to add extra. Note 2: If you use a store bought mix, there will probably be a leavening agent in it already, in this case add only 3/8 tsp baking soda.
- 9Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture gradually. Beat until smooth.
- 10Fill up the muffin tins so that each cup is almost full (they will rise up beautifully but sink back in for 20% or so ;-))
- 11Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 12Let cool for a couple of minutes and transfer to a wire rack, until cool enough to handle.
- 13Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Ginger Muffins (Gluten and Dairy Free)
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 55.6
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 195.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light cane sugar
gluten-free cake flour