Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love leeks, and leek soup, and wanted to introduce my Significant Other to the dish. But he is definitely a meat and potatoes sort of guy, so I compiled this version of the dish for him. Remove the bacon and use veggie oil for a great vegetarian meal. Also tastes great with a dollop of soy sour cream substitute. It's dairy free for my milk allergy, but I'm sure regular milk products work just fine.
- Please note that the bacon and leeks should be cooked at the same time that the broth and potatoes are being prepared.
- Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a 4 quart pot.
- Add diced potatoes and cover the pot.
- Allow to simmer until tender.
- Chop the bacon into 1/2 inch chunks and cook in a large pan.
- Slice the leeks thinly, using only the bulb and the lighter green parts of the leaves.
- Once the bacon is crispy, remove the bacon pieces, leaving the grease. Set bacon aside.
- Sauté the leeks in the bacon grease until the darkest slices yield slightly to a spoon or spatula.
- Cover and allow to steam for 2-3 minutes until the dark slices cut easily with the edge of your stirring utensil.
- Add the cooked leeks to your potatoes.
- Using a hand blender or food processor, blend the potatoes and the leeks, slowly adding the soy cream and the spices.
- Gently fold in bacon pieces.
- Serve hot, or chill for a great summer cool down.