Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I created this and it is delicious and dairy free! Pasta primavera is an Italian-American dish that consists of pasta and vegetables. A meat such as chicken, sausage or shrimp is sometimes added, but the focus of primavera is the vegetables themselves. The dish may contain almost any kind of vegetable, but cooks tend to stick to firm, crisp vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, peas, onions and green bell peppers, with tomatoes. Pasta primavera is usually highlighted by light flavors, aromatic herbs and bright colors ('primavera' meaning the season of spring). Classic pasta primavera is based on a soffritto of garlic, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese, but versions based on a heavier cream or Alfredo sauce are also common. Though recipes for cold pasta primavera may be found, they are best classified as antipasti, or appetizers. Pastas served with this dish are typically smaller shapes, such as penne, farfalle, rigatoni and fusilli. If using longer types of pasta, such as spaghetti or fettuccine, the vegetables are normally sliced in thin strips to match the shape of the noodles.
- 1⁄2 cup oil, separated
- 4 tablespoons rice flour (gluten free)
- rice pasta, macaroni, penne, fusilli (to be gluten free)
- 1⁄2 cup helmans olive oil mayonnaise (to be soy free)
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (I make my own homemade, chicken bones, celery leaves & stalk, organic carrots, half a cooking onion,)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup frozen baby peas
- 5 mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 organic carrots, cut in very small chunks
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- sweet paprika, for garnish
- Heat oil (I use canola oil here) reserving 2 tbs.
- Add rice flour and stir until bubbling and cook just 1 minute over medium-high heat.
- Gradually add the chicken stock 1/4 cup at a time whisking with each addition until a sauce like consistency is reached, may or may not use all stock as amount was approximate.
- Remove from heat and add Helmans olive oil mayonnaise to be soy free. Mix and return to heat whisking for 1/2 -1 minute.
- Remove from heat and adjust seasoning with sea salt.
- Heat remaining 2 tbs oil (I use olive oil in this case) in a frying pan and brown chicken peices lightly adding sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Add frozen peas to chicken and cook a minute or 2 until no longer frozen.
- Steam carrots and mushrooms individually in salted water until cooked to desired tenderness.
- Mix all together.
- Serve on top of freshly boiled rice pasta in small desired shape and sprinkle with paprika for colour.
I made as directed and found this to be very bland!!! Very dissapointed with this recipe.....