Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Penzey's Spices catalog. Original recipe from Adele Christensen. We felt it was a bit salty with the 1 tsp salt, so I would cut it next time. We used boneless ribs and skinless, boneless chicken breasts.
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour or 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning (actually, Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup rice milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F Line a rimmed bakign sheet with tinfoil.
- Cut the margarine or butter into pieces, place on the baking sheet and put in the oven to melt. Watch so it doesn't burn.
- Put the flour, cornmeal, seasonings and Parmesan cheese (if using) in a plastic or paper bag and shake to mix.
- Pour the buttermilk in a wide, shallow bowl. Dip the chicken pieces, one at a time, into the buttermilk and then place in the bag; shake to coat.
- Place the chicken on the cookie sheet and turn to coat with margarine.
- Bake for 25 minutes, skin side up.
- Carefully turn the chicken legs and wings so the coating does not come off. Leave the thighs and breasts skin side up.
- Bake for another 25 minutes or unitl cooked through. Large thighs and breasts may need an extra 10 minutes or so - just remove the smaller pieces and place on a plate on top of the stove until the larger ones are finished.