WI Cheesehead's Note:
From Penzey's Spices catalog. Original recipe from Adele Christensen. We felt it was a bit salty with the 1 tsp salt, so I would cut it next time. We used boneless ribs and skinless, boneless chicken breasts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 4 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup flour or 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning (actually, Penzey's Pasta Sprinkle)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup rice milk
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Line a rimmed bakign sheet with tinfoil.
- 2Cut the margarine or butter into pieces, place on the baking sheet and put in the oven to melt. Watch so it doesn't burn.
- 3Put the flour, cornmeal, seasonings and Parmesan cheese (if using) in a plastic or paper bag and shake to mix.
- 4Pour the buttermilk in a wide, shallow bowl. Dip the chicken pieces, one at a time, into the buttermilk and then place in the bag; shake to coat.
- 5Place the chicken on the cookie sheet and turn to coat with margarine.
- 6Bake for 25 minutes, skin side up.
- 7Carefully turn the chicken legs and wings so the coating does not come off. Leave the thighs and breasts skin side up.
- 8Bake for another 25 minutes or unitl cooked through. Large thighs and breasts may need an extra 10 minutes or so - just remove the smaller pieces and place on a plate on top of the stove until the larger ones are finished.
Browse Our Top Free Of... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Oven-Baked Chicken or Ribs (W/Gluten Free Dairy Free Opt
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 916.9
- Calories from Fat 489
- Total Fat 54.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 246.2 mg
- Sodium 308.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 63.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Earth Balance margarine