Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 hrs
Wonderful comfort food without the milk.
Make and share this Creamy Stove Top Rice Pudding - Dairy Free recipe from Food.com.
- In large saucepan, bring 2 cups of the water and cinnamon stick to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in rice and return to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 35 - 40 minutes, or until rice is very tender and water has been absorbed.
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup water, apple juice, brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Cook, covered, over low heat until rice is creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Beat in eggs and currants (or raisins). Cook, stirring, until thickened and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon stick.
- For best flavor, serve warm.
- *** another variation used orange juice instead of apple juice.