3 hrs 15 mins
This recipe makes a decadent, low carb, and dairy-free ice cream that is really out of this world! You will love this even if you don't love coconut. My husband (who has no dietary restrictions and is an ice cream addict) told me that this is the best that he's ever had. Each 1/2 cup serving contains 6.4 grams of net carbohydrates, and 24.2 grams of healthy fat from the coconut (gotta love those medium chain triglycerides)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium saucepan set over medium-low heat, whisk together the coconut milk, coconut oil, truvia, and salt. Bring the mixture just to a boil.
- 2While the coconut mixture is heating, whisk the egg yolks until pale and aerated.
- 3Once the coconut mixture has come to a slight boil, whisk about 1/3 of the mixture into the yolks.
- 4Add another 1/3 of the mixture to the yolks, whisking quickly, then return the combined mixture to the saucepan.
- 5Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture constantly over low heat until it thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon, about 2-3 minutes. Do not boil or the eggs can coagulate.
- 6Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and bring to room temperature. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- 7Cover and refrigerate overnight in the lowest part of your refrigerator.
- 8Follow your ice cream makers instructions to freeze your ice cream. With my Cuisinart, I pour the mixture into the frozen freezer bowl and let it mix until thickened, about 20 minutes. This is a good time to serve it. If you have leftovers or will not eat it right after fabricating, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in the freezer. When you do serve it, let it sit out for about 20 minute to soften slightly.
Browse Our Top Ice Cream Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ice Cream Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Coconut Vanilla Custard Ice Cream - Low Carb and Dairy-Free
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 212.3
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 76.8 mg
- Sodium 26.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 2.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: