Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I love eggnog but can't have the dairy. Then it occurred to me that it would be great made with coconut milk - which is my milk substitute of choice. I couln't find a recipe here that just called for coconut milk, so I searched the web where I found many sites posting such a recipe as all of the sites that I looked at posted the same recipe, I am not crediting where it came from. I also like this recipe because everything gets cooked. I haven't tried it yet because I wanted to post it on here so I could easily calculate the ingredients for a smaller batch as it is just for me. Prep time is estimated - total time includes chilling time.
- Heat, but do not boil, coconut milk and honey.
- Beat egg yolks with vanilla extract.
- Add half of coconut milk mixture to egg yolks and stir.
- Add back into remaining coconut milk and stir.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until egg nog thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg (Note that cinnamon and nutmeg will not dissolve, so you may wish to add them when you drink it.).
- Allow to cool to room temperature, add rum now if you choose.
- Then cover and refrigerate 3 hours before serving.
Made for the My 3 Chefs event for all the same reasons stated in your intro. While I can enjoy limited dairy products, my best friend has 2 dtrs who are severely dairy allergic. So I am always looking for ways to enjoy the genre w/o side effects. Since this was an out-of-seasonal taste test, I halved this tasty recipe & look forward to sharing it during the holidays w/friends & family. This is ideal for dairy intolerant situations & means that no one need feel deprived. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.