Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I took a Penzey's recipe and changed it quite a bit (making it GF/CF and adding protein and fiber) into my own. Took a chance and the family loved it!
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups rice milk (or other nondairy milk)
- 1⁄4 cup Earth Balance margarine (or butter if you tolerate it)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (see Gluten Free Flour Blend)
- 2 -4 tablespoons hemp protein powder (or other favorite protein powder)
- 4 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 -3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Combine the oats and the milk and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream together the Earth Balance, brown sugar, egg and vanilla; add the oat mixture and stir to blend.
- Add the oat mixture and stir to blend.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, protein powder, flax meal, cinnamon, xanthan gum, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin pan, filling about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle each muffin generously with cinnamon sugar (this will make a crusty layer on top).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then remove from pan and place on rack to cool, careful not to tip over and lose any topping.