This is a moist and gooey brownie that has a light and cheesecakey texture. The secret is draining silken tofu and soy yogurt for a day or two so they thicken up, which gives the filling the texture of cream cheese without the dairy or the fat! I made these brownies for my family for Valentine's Day and cut them into hearts with heart-shaped cookie cutters, and everyone gobbled them up! This recipe is from the wonderful Heather Van Vorous at the IBS message boards at www.helpforibs.com. Prep time does not include time to drain the tofu and soy yogurt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 ounce) package silken tofu (I use Mori Nu Lite)
- 1/3 cup plain soy yogurt (I use Whole Soy)
- 2 egg whites (or 1/4 cup Egg Beaters)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1Crumble tofu into a sieve lined with several layers of paper towels; add soy yogurt.
- 2Cover sieve with plastic wrap and place over a bowl to drain overnight, or for up to two days (the longer this drains, the thicker and creamier your filling will be).
- 3Preheat oven to 350F.
- 4In a small bowl with an electric beater, beat the drained tofu/yogurt with other filling ingredients until smooth and creamy (or blend ingredients in a blender); set aside.
- 5In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, soda, and salt; whisk dry ingredients until well blended.
- 6Whisk in water, oil, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla just until batter is blended.
- 7Lightly spray a 9 x 13" baking pan with cooking oil.
- 8Pour chocolate mixture into pan and spread evenly.
- 9Spoon large dropfuls of the filling mixture in 12 even spoonfuls across the batter (you should have three rows of four dropfuls of filling).
- 10Take the flat side of a butter knife and gently pull it through the batter and filling to make a marble pattern.
- 11Bake for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in a brownie portion comes out with moist crumbs.
- 12Cool on rack.
- 13I would recommend allowing these to cool completely before serving; I think they have the best texture that way!
- 14They're also fantastic topped with vanilla soy ice cream and drizzled with chocolate syrup!
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies (Dairy-Free!)
Serving Size: 1 (72 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.6
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 208.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 18.8 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: