Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have modified Chewy Granola Bars to fit into our allergen free diet. Everyone loves these!! These are free of milk, egg, gluten, corn, soy and so ON!! Sorry about missing changing the directions. I have been tweaking the recipe. Everything should be correct now. You WILL have to read labels to be sure that the items you buy are allergen free. This recipe is quite forgiving but using regular rice flour helps them to stick together.
- 3⁄4 cup raw sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1⁄3 cup spectrum non-hydrogenated shortening (or vegan margarine)
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 tablespoons agave nectar, for vegan
- 1 egg equivalent egg substitute (I use Flax vegan egg re placer #104832)
- 3⁄4 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon guar gum (if not in flour mix) or 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (if not in flour mix)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (look for corn and gluten free brands)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal (organic brown rice cereal is CORN FREE)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Brand are free of corn, milk, soy, gluten, etc)
- 1 3⁄4 cups rolled oats (gluten free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil 9x13 baking pan.
- In large bowl, beat sugar and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add honey, egg replace and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, gar gum, salt and baking soda. Blend.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture. Mix until well combined.
- By hand mix in chocolate chips, nuts, rice cereal and oats.
- Press firmly into pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until brown.
These are great! They are better than cookies. I used puffed rice and puffed millet instead of crispy rice ceral (hard to find economical gluten free brand) and added buckwheat goats, flax seed and seasame seeds for a little more crunch
this is a great recipe, and was happy that i had all the ingredients on hand. thanks for working all the quirks so it turned out perfect for me:) i added 3tlbs natural maple syrup, 1tsp cinnamon, 2tlbs vanilla rice protein powder, 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes, 1/2 cup toasted almonds, & 1/2 cup dried cranberries. i only added 1/2 cup raw sugar and a little less than 3/4 cup brown rice flour because of the extra ingredients i added. thx again!
Awesone reciepe. The first time they did not hold together well the second time I add 1 tsp of xantham gum and they helh togather just fine.