1/2 Photos of Chef Joey's Spanakopita Casserole (Dairy Free)
1 hr 25 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
This casserole has a bit more in it then just spinach. All the greens are organic and came out of our garden so this should taste really fresh. I don't use dairy so I used Vegan Monterrey Jack cheese, but you can use whatever you kind you like. Make sure you totally cool the greens mixture before adding it to the cheese and eggs, you don't want to scramble the eggs!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 large onion (chopped medium)
- 3 medium potatoes (sliced thick and boiled)
- 2 large shallots (chopped fine)
- 1 cup chicken broth (organic)
- 1 lb spinach (rinsed and chopped)
- 1/2 lb kale (ribs removed, rinsed and chopped)
- 1/2 lb nettles (removed the thicker stems)
- 10 ounces brick vegan cheese (shredded)
- 2 eggs (organic-beaten)
- 1 (17 1/3 ounce) box puff pastry (I used Pepperdige Farm 2- Sheets-thawed)
- 14 ounces white button mushrooms
- 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
- salt and pepper
- 1Remove the puff pastry from its package and let it thaw for at least 40 minutes.
- 2Cut up your potato and add enough water to cover. Boil until fork tender.
- 3In the mean time, melt the coconut oil in a large saute pan.
- 4Saute the onion for a few minutes, then add the shallots and garlic, saute until all are transparent.
- 5Add the cleaned spinach, kale and nettles. I found I had to add them a little at a time to the saute pan because there was so much.
- 6Add the chicken broth into the saute pan as you add the greens. When the greens mixture is totally cooked remove from the saute pan and set aside to cool. The chicken broth should have reduced down considerably. Don't use the liquid if there is any left, just discard it or use it in something else.
- 7Shred the cheese and add the eggs and combine well and set aside.
- 8Check the puff pastry to see if its thawed out enough to roll. If it is, take one of the sheets and roll it out to fit into a 9x9" casserole dish. Make sure you get all the air bubbles out from under it while placing it in the casserole dish.
- 9Combine the cooled greens/onion/garlic mixture in the cheese and egg mixture. You might want to stick this in the freezer for 5 minutes to help it cool faster. Don't forget its in there, you don't want it to freeze.
- 10Add a little more coconut oil to the saute pan and saute the mushrooms until they get soft, then add the liquid smoke. Mix it up a little more.
- 11Remove the greens from the freezer if they're still in there.
- 12Layer the mushrooms on the bottom of the casserole first. Then the greens/onion/garlic mixture. Then the potatoes that you cooked.
- 13Salt and pepper the potatoes.
- 14The 9 x 9" casserole dish should be full to the top. Fold the sides of the puff pastry over on top of the potatoes and add the top piece of puff pastry tucking the sides inches This will keep the juices inches You don't have to roll out the top piece of pastry, it should fit perfectly on the top of the casserole.
- 15Brush the top of the pastry with beaten egg if you wish. It makes the top look nice and golden brown.
- 16Bake in a 350'F oven for 40 minutes.
- 17When you take the casserole out the top will probably be puffed up. Just let it sit and cool on a wire rack, the top will drop down.
- 18Serve hot.
- 19Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Joey's Spanakopita Casserole (Dairy Free)
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.3
- Calories from Fat 367
- Total Fat 40.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 440.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 17.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: