Cook1 hr 30 mins
I love pound cake. It has been a favorite with me since I was a small child. But, I don't like all the calories most of them have, so I've come up with this and as you can see from the photos it turned out great. The taste is really nice and I love the hint of lemon that shines through this recipe. This would be delicious with your favorite syrup, fresh fruit or a dollop of non-dairy whipping cream...Yum!
- 3 cups white spelt flour (or cake flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Earth Balance margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups raw sugar (sifted)
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg substitute (I used Nulaid Reddi Liquid Egg-its fat and cholesterol free)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons plus the zest from both lemons)
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- Zest the lemons and set aside. Do this before juicing as its easier.
- Set oven to 325'F.
- Grease a 16 cup tube pan. Dust with flour by swirling it around the bottom and sides. Then flour the tube as well. Tap out the excess.
- Sift the spelt, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the margarine until it's light and fluffy.
- Add in the sifted sugar and beat for about 5 minutes making sure the sugar is well incorporated.
- Add the egg replacer in 1/4 cup increments until all added and make sure this is well mixed.
- Beat in the lemon zest and juice.
- With a good rubber spatula add in the sifted dry ingredients until well mixed.
- Mix in the vegan sour cream.
- Put the batter into your prepared tube cake pan.
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours. Using a wooden kabob skewer test for done-ness. I stuck the skewer a few times near the middle as this is the thickest part. If it comes out clean then the cake is done.
- Cool on a metal rack for 15-20 minutes. Then run a knife around the outside of the cake.
- Turn the cake onto the metal cooling rack and then put it right side up. Let the cake cool completely.
- You can make this a few days ahead.
- Wrap in tin foil and store in the fridge.
- Remove what you're going to eat before serving and let come to room temperature.
- Bon Appetit!