1/2 Photos of Chef Joey's Dairy Free Pound Cake
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
I love pound cake. It has been a favorite with me since I was a small child. But, I don't like all the calories most of them have, so I've come up with this and as you can see from the photos it turned out great. The taste is really nice and I love the hint of lemon that shines through this recipe. This would be delicious with your favorite syrup, fresh fruit or a dollop of non-dairy whipping cream...Yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups white spelt flour (or cake flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Earth Balance margarine
- 2 1/2 cups raw sugar (sifted)
- 1 1/2 cups egg substitute (I used Nulaid Reddi Liquid Egg-its fat and cholesterol free)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons plus the zest from both lemons)
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 1Zest the lemons and set aside. Do this before juicing as its easier.
- 2Set oven to 325'F.
- 3Grease a 16 cup tube pan. Dust with flour by swirling it around the bottom and sides. Then flour the tube as well. Tap out the excess.
- 4Sift the spelt, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- 5In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the margarine until it's light and fluffy.
- 6Add in the sifted sugar and beat for about 5 minutes making sure the sugar is well incorporated.
- 7Add the egg replacer in 1/4 cup increments until all added and make sure this is well mixed.
- 8Beat in the lemon zest and juice.
- 9With a good rubber spatula add in the sifted dry ingredients until well mixed.
- 10Mix in the vegan sour cream.
- 11Put the batter into your prepared tube cake pan.
- 12Bake for about 1 1/2 hours. Using a wooden kabob skewer test for done-ness. I stuck the skewer a few times near the middle as this is the thickest part. If it comes out clean then the cake is done.
- 13Cool on a metal rack for 15-20 minutes. Then run a knife around the outside of the cake.
- 14Turn the cake onto the metal cooling rack and then put it right side up. Let the cake cool completely.
- 15You can make this a few days ahead.
- 16Wrap in tin foil and store in the fridge.
- 17Remove what you're going to eat before serving and let come to room temperature.
- 18Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chef Joey's Dairy Free Pound Cake
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.8
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 123.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 42.3 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Earth Balance margarine
vegan sour cream