1 hr 5 mins
A delicious carrot cake that is free of gluten and casein, but also lower in sugar and fat than most recipes. Can be made vegan with egg-replacer instead of eggs. Top with your favourite icing, or a sprinking of icing sugar. I often use more pineapple, and mix it with cinnamon and raisins, and make a warm glaze before serving. Simply double the recipe for a two-tiered version.
My Private Note
large p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour, mix (your choice, I've used a few different versions)
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if in flour mix)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (toasting optional, but brings out more flavour)
- 2 1/4 cups grated carrots (about 1/2 a pound)
- 1/4 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Lightly grease or prepare an 8x8 square pan, or 9 inch round pan.
- 3In your mixer, beat the sugar, oil, and eggs together. Add the vanilla.
- 4In another bowl, mix together flour, xantham gum, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- 5Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- 6Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- 7Fold in the carrots and pineapple.
- 8Mix well, but don't over mix.
- 9Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 10Allow the cake to cool completely in the pans set over a wire rack.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carrot Cake (Gluten-Free, Casein/Dairy-Free)
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.2
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.6 mg
- Sodium 309.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 18.9 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: