Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious carrot cake that is free of gluten and casein, but also lower in sugar and fat than most recipes. Can be made vegan with egg-replacer instead of eggs. Top with your favourite icing, or a sprinking of icing sugar. I often use more pineapple, and mix it with cinnamon and raisins, and make a warm glaze before serving. Simply double the recipe for a two-tiered version.
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup gluten-free flour, mix (your choice, I've used a few different versions)
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if in flour mix)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 raisins
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (toasting optional, but brings out more flavour)
- 2 1⁄4 cups grated carrots (about 1/2 a pound)
- 1⁄4 cup diced fresh pineapple
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease or prepare an 8x8 square pan, or 9 inch round pan.
- In your mixer, beat the sugar, oil, and eggs together. Add the vanilla.
- In another bowl, mix together flour, xantham gum, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- Fold in the carrots and pineapple.
- Mix well, but don't over mix.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in the pans set over a wire rack.
Delist!,, will definitely make again & again. Found xanth... But it was way expensive and made from bacteria. Substituted guar gum way cheaper. Didn't,t add raisins seemed like too much stuff. Used fresh pineapple. Was fantastic and gone in a few hours. Thanks, Jesse
I made these into cupcakes/muffins. My child loved them. Infact, cried for them! I thought they were a little sticky. I didnt use walnuts or raisins. I wanted him to see if he could just do the carrot texture. GREAT MUFFINS!!
4 1/2 stars. DH said he likes this better than muffins I have been making for breakfast. I dont really like carrot cake but he doesnt comment much so I uped it from 4 to 4 1/2 stars. I actually used grated sweet potato in replacement of the carrots and added a bit more sugar than called for. I used raw cane sugar for the granulated sugar, egg replacer (it didnt rise maybe this is why or it needs baking powder Im not sure) and double the amount of non-alcoholic vanilla extract. I used Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Mix #1 for the flour and omitted the raisins and walnuts. I also used canned pineapple instead of fresh just because it was easier. A half batch was our breakfast with orange juice for 2 adults and a toddler. I would make this again.