WI Cheesehead's Note:
Got this from The Yeast Connection cookbook. I've been trying to find recipes that are candida friendly. This is great and even includes directions to quickly make nut milk for the pancakes. If you don't have vitamin C crystals, I used aluminum free baking powder (I think 1 1/2 tsp?). You might want to add a bit of stevia to make it sweeter. I tried 2 tsp and it needed more (of the blend). My boys ate it up with powdered sugar on it, but we're not supposed to eat that! Cooking time depends upon your waffle iron.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot or 2 1/2 tablespoons tapioca starch or 2 1/2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1/2 cup carob flour (powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional) or 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1Preheat your waffle iron.
- 2Pour the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the starch, carob powder, salt and chopped nuts.
- 3In the blender, grind the remaining nuts to a fine meal. Scrape the bottom and sides of the jar; add 1 ¾ C boiling water, vitamin C crystals, oil and vanilla; blend for one minute.
- 4If using optional eggs, mix yolks (if desired) into the batter and beat the whites, in a small bowl, to soft peaks. Use a rubber spatula to fold them into the batter (in the next step).
- 5Pour the liquids over the dry ingredients. Whisk lightly until the mixture is blended.
- 6Combine the remaining ¼ C boiling water with the baking soda (it will foam up). Stir to dissolve and whisk into the batter.
- 7Use a measuring cup to pour 1 C batter into the heated waffle iron. Cook until done.
- 8If making pancakes, it makes 12-15 large ones.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Carob Buckwheat Waffles or Pancakes (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
Serving Size: 1 (998 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.7
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 884.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vitamin C powder