Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Easy and tasty beef pop pie filling. Or make it a beef and kidney pot pie for something different and delicious!
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 2 cups potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, cooked and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- pie crust, premade
- Mix flour, salt and pepper; dredge meat.
- In large fry pan, heat oil over medium heat; brown meat. Add onions, garlic and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes (until softened). Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining flour, add stock and cook, stirring until thickened and boiling. Add bat leaf, thyme and basil then cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours (until beef is tender).
- Discard bay leaf.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots and parsley.
- Place everything in 2.5 ltr baking dish.
- Place rolled out pie crust on top, sealing the edges. Cut slits for steam.
- Bake at 400F for 25 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- ***For freezing for later use either freeze filling and make the crust and bake when ready to eat OR make pie but freeze before baking and bake it when ready to eat it.